Monday, February 14, 2011

WEEK ONE IN ACAPULCO MEXICO



Okay, first off I am in Acapulco.
This picture is Aristeo Catalan Cruz.
My first baptism!!!!!!!!! Only four days into the mission field.
I was privileged to perform the baptism.
Here is a day to day update...
Feb. 7
When we got on the plane one of the flight attendants knew President Spannaus. Monday was an easy day because Pres. S and his family mostly spoke English. Very well actually. The food was fantastic. I loved it Later after dinner we went and slept at the mission office.
Feb. 8
Cereal for breakfast....to normal for Mexico. Then to the immigration office so we could get legal. After that we went back to the mission office and waited for Pres. S and our four new companions to get out of the office. When they finally came out President Spannaus said, "ok, this is tradition...you line up here and the old elders line up there.....ok, If you pick your new papa correctly you receive
Exaltation." Good thing I picked right....out of the four of us I am new a new companion to the only native of the four. Elder Olvera. He is soooo cool. Even though I cant understand him most of the time. lol. Then after that a four hour trip to Acapulco!! Yeah!!
Ok, forget about dates now...
Oh the hills in Acapulco!!!
I love them because God gives me the strength to climb and reach the top to every appointment. To answer you question mom...yes my feet hurt. ha ha. I have two blisters from the last week right below my toes.
Our first appointment was with Aristeo. He is a golden investigator. (this was Tuesday night btw) we call them "Escogidos" or "the chosen ones". We taught him twice this last week....and guess what....on Friday he was baptized!!! And I performed the baptism!!!! It was quite the adventure because we had to clean the font the day before and had to basically use the bucket into the font again and again because the font was not draining fast enough.
Friday it was even more interesting...We had to go pick him up at work so he would not forget about his baptism and it was..well and adventure...let just say...(this part is really for Jordan and his friends) it was like "Call of Duty" coming back from his work. Police everywhere and also army guys with huge guns and stuff. But the black name tag we wear basically makes us invisible and we walked right passed everything evil and bad that was going on. (Sorry if I scared you mom but I am
really in the Lords hands lol) Lets just say this is quite the experience..some days I wake up thinking I am at the MTC and well that is not true at all.
But the baptism was great! I got through the baptism prayer with a little...ok alot of sweat on my face but it is all good. After I was sitting next to Artisteo and I shared my favorite scripture with him and 3 Nephi 11 about Christ coming into
America. I knew he already read it but I loved talking about it anyway. I know the Spirit was there because I could understand what he was saying and I was talking in Spanish. He is already half way through Alma.
As for the food here....
One meal a day, around 2 30 or 3 pm. that is how much most of the people here can afford. Basically is is alot of tacos and rice, beans, sauce, and other stuff. I don't really know what half the stuff I eat is but I eat all of it because 1. I am really hungry by 2 30 or 3 and 2. because that is what Jesus would do. No joke. I sometimes have a hard time with some of the deserts they come up with but other then
that I love it because it is food.
The traffic here is soooooooo scary. The bus ride from the church to the members house was more fun the any of the rides at lagoon. It was hilarious. I was putting my hands up in the air. My companion got a real kick out of that. The houses here are really cool. I have only been on one or two carpet floors and most people don't have a car unless you are a taxi driver or rich.
Btw, the J dubs tracked into our apartment too(Elder Robb mentioned this in his email). They are trying to work as hard as we do but they don't have the method or spirit.
Oh!!!!! One day, Feb. 10th, this happened twice in one day,once when tracking and well here is the story... we were teaching Olfelia and Irwin. I was looking at Irwin because he was talking. I went to look over at my companion when all the sudden half of Olfelias shirt was down and I could see her well you know. So of course I started singing a primary song in my head. Btw, she was just feeding her baby. She is
suppose to be baptized on the 26 along with two other of out investigators and the two or three the following week.
So, one of our investigators is almost mute. He is missing alot of teeth and I can only understand him when her says Hi and some other stuff. But my dear companion has the gift of translation.
Oh, and the language is coming along. I will be honest and say that this is really not the language they taught me at the MTC. I can only understand half of what is going on. I love talking to children and grandparents because they are more patient and will help me along with anything. The ward we are in is great. I love the people and members with all my heart and soul. My first time I was at the church on
Wednesday night I met this young man named Moroni. Him and I are really good friends.
Yes, they very much celebrate Valentines Day here. It is a huge deal.
Some schools or grades didn't have school today from what I understand. An elderly lady from the ward gave us a Valentine on Sunday and told us not to tell anyone she gave it to us. ha ha.
hmmm... this is basically like Indiana Jones....Literally. It feels like I am in the movie. There are telephones on most street corner and they have superman on them advertising cable. The picture was put there for me so I could do whatever I need to do to help these people out. (Editors note: Daryl loves Superman and thinks it would be great to be invincible)
On Feb. 9th we tracked into Ema and set up an appointment for Friday I believe. When we taught her she basically went on about how the Catholic Church was sooo wrong and how she is so glad that some one figured it was wrong too. She indeed felt the spirit during our discussion and I know she will pray and receive an answer that this is indeed the path she needs to go on. It was a great experience talking
to her. There are people like her and then there are people who has researched
about everything about our church and are waiting for us to come around the corner so they can throw scriptures and false ideas at us.
Guess what?! It doesn't work. I personally think it builds my testimony
and I am happy to knock on the next door.
hmmm.... Saturday night we passed by five or six fiestas...one happened to be right next to our house. It was defiantly a hard night. The music was playing so loud until about five in the morning. It was great happy dancing music but it was way past my bedtime. lol.
Sunday
I played the piano in Sacrament Meeting and it was interesting....but I enjoyed it. I made mistakes but the members were happy I was playing.
(Editors note: he sent a couple of more short e-mails about the pictures not going through and needing a hard drive. He never really ended this e-mail. I'm sure the tales will go on next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment